Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Helping the Poor

Today I get a call from what I think was a lady (it sounded like a dude but had a girls name) who wanted money to pay her/his rent. This person was going down the phone book from church to church desperately searching for someone to help her/him out. She/He didn't make a lot of sense but from what I gathered had a stroke recently and hasn't been able to pay the rent. She/he also said something about trying to pay it quickly because she/he was about to go to court (I don't have a fat clue what the court thing had to do with this situation). I'm so torn with situations like this. On the one hand the mercy side of me causes my heart to break and I want to help this person out. I kept thinking about the verse in the Bible that says what good is it if you say to a poor person without food or clothes I wish you well keep warm and well fed? The verse challenges Christ followers to do something with their faith and not just talk about it.

On the other hand I don't know if this was a scam. I mean they wanted $150 that day to pay the rent. I understand not having a lot of money, but I don't understand why you wait until the last minute to start asking for it. Maybe I'm cruel, or maybe this is just an excuse, but I have a hard time sending $150 to someone I don't know who needs money that day.

I'm interested to know what you would do if you were in my shoes. Post a comment and let me know.

5 comments:

  1. Very sticky, I know exactly what you mean. Not sure if the person is being honest or not. I always tell people to call the Rescue Mission. They have systems in place to check out the situation and to decide if it is legit, you know? I guess, if I felt led to give the money to the person, I would make the check out directly to the renter, so the money could not be used in the wrong way. You know? Anyway, my heart always aches for those types of situations, but it is hard to trust people these days. (Haha, I just sounded like an old lady)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we've talked about this in the past. It's always hard. Recently I think I've decided it's not up to us to decide if it's legit or not. I think we should just give. I know a lot of people will disagree, but the Bible never mentions anything about us making a judgement call on the asker. All we're told to do is to give, and to give MORE than we're asked for. How's that for flying in the face of what I want to do. How many times could Jesus say to me that I didn't clothe or feed or help in anyway him. You know the least of these passage and all.

    I wonder in, light of my track record, if I could be counted among the sheep? I believe heaven is about beliefs and grace, but hell is mentioned primarily (almost exclusively) in the context of meeting the poors' needs...

    I haven't put this into practice, but I'm working up to it. Kind of like working out. I'd like to be a better person, but it's easier to think and talk than do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like betnynonnie's response of connecting the person to someone who can check out the need or if led to give, pay the renter. Even the good samaritan didn't just hand over money. He met the need by paying the innkeeper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, it is the act of giving, meeting a need. The least of these is money. It is about seeing a need and supplying it if you can. We have in our family what I like to call a "professional scammer in NEED". If they worked as hard in a job as they do in getting things from other people, they would be well off. I have watched them scam EVERYONE. They may not have heat, or food or money, but they did have pills and cigarettes and never worked. If they moved into your house for a month, they stayed 9 months and left you with thousands of dollars in dept, until they found another family to go to. So, I have been burned,by USERS not the NEEDY. I think people in need can use respect, personal value and help with a plan of where to eat and live next. The caller you had was in a frenzy needing cash now. If a person called and told their story and ask what kind of help can this church offer me, I BELIEVE we would help anyway we can. We want to build relationships, we want people to know that they are cared for and loved by us through God. I think we want to meet imedeant needs like paying the rent, food and the such, but also helping them looking for work, daycare and helping them in the long run. I do LOVE what DP said: "but the Bible never mentions anything about us making a judgment call on the asker. All we're told to do is to give, and to give MORE than we're asked for. How's that for flying in the face of what I want to do." it made me smile. God is calling us to give, and more than what is asked. Being open and with a big heart. I just believe cash is the very least of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan...great comment. I'm thinking you need to start a blog.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.