Monday, April 12, 2010

Worst Movies People Love

The following is just an opinion. Please read it as just that.

I was asked last week, by Mike Dominice (guitar ninja for the Waters Edge Band), what were the worst movies that people loved. It got me thinking. So much so that I thought I'd throw down a blog. The following are the worst movies that people love.
  • Transformers 1 & 2. Great special effects, but the plot and lack of a good story make these movies awful.
  • Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3. I liked the first one, but the second two were long, weird, and pointless.
  • Twilight. My wife loves these movies. From what I saw they were humorless, had weak special effects, and were way too serious movies that had a dude that sparkles. Nuff said.
  • Avatar. Great special effects! Even though I appreciate this movie I've been told it's one of the best ever. I would not put this movie in the top 20.
  • Most Tim Burton movies. The only Burton film I've ever seen that I loved was Batman. Everything else is just too weird for me. This includes Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Edward Scissorhands, and Beatlejuice.
  • 300. I'm going to get crucified for this one, but I don't get this movie. I tried to watch it on TV and I just couldn't finish it.
  • Wild Hogs. I was told that this movie was ha larious. I don't think I cracked a smile watching it.
  • Armageddon. Awful.

So I've given my opinion now give me yours. What are the worst movies that you know people love.

12 comments:

  1. those guys from 300 are a lot bigger than you...

    pretty much anything that has will farrel in it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh, 300 was an awesome movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to cyberland my friend. I can't think of any movies to fit your category, probably because I don't see too many of them. I did watch Anchorman with Will Ferrell. I was told it was gonna make me laugh from start to finish. It didn't. Slow, stupid, boring, cliche, cookie-cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You went soft Rob. Who cares if your own brother would ostracize you, you have to call it like it is... Fight Club. Good list otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...all 3 of them. Terrible.


    ...take that Rob. That's what you get for not liking Avatar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Transformers both 1 and 2 were entertaining ...would not label them as worst movies that people love though. 300 is good not 100 accurate but the very good from a historical perspective ..I truly think you have not taken watching this seriously enough.
    Most movies that win all the acclaim for academy awards are movies people love but I think they are the worst movies. I like to be either entertained or true stories that inspire. I can see what you mean about Pirates 2 and 3 but I dont believe they were all that at the theaters when they came out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @brianmiller - true, but I'm not scared.

    @Kim - A lot of people feel that way, but it just didn't do it for me.

    @Daniel - good to be back.

    @DP - There are lots of movies that could make that list, but I put the top ones.

    @Scott - I agree about two out of three of those movies. I will stand by the first one though. It's good stuff.

    @Sector - thanks for leaving a comment. The movies I like are not always the acclaimed ones. A lot of people think my favorite movies are not good. I love The Dark Knight, the first 3 Indy movies, Die Hard, and Back to the Future. Most of those movies weren't greatly acclaimed. I just don't get the movies that I mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Twilight and Transformers 2 take the cake for AWFUL movies that people really enjoyed

    also surprised by the anti-Will-Ferrell comments.... i know his humor isnt for everybody, but i guess the generational gap is really showing when people cant even crack a smile at Anchorman... SHEESH

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree about Twilight and Transformers 2, but I have to disagree about Tim Burton. Sweeney Todd is one of the few movies I would call a modern masterpiece.

    Also agree about Avatar. I think it's a fine movie, but if you take away those amazing visual effects, all you are left with are a bad script and green screens

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you seen The Nightmare Before Christmas? I hated it the first time I watched it. Now I love it. I think it's really creative.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Faith, I haven't seen that one. My brother tells me I should. I will catch it on tv one day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad I could inspire a robshep.com post. Do I get a prize?

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.