Thursday, April 29, 2010

I Lack Rhythm

I lack a rhythm. Now before all you grammar Nazis crucify me...I intentionally wrote a rhythm. You see there is a difference between lacking rhythm and lacking a rhythm. I'm not Michael Jackson when it comes to having rhythm, but I can keep a decent beat. My problem comes with having a rhythm to life.

I heard Andy Stanley, author and pastor, talk about his rhythm. He talked about his work week and how he knows his rhythm. After every preaching series Andy takes off two weeks from speaking. He said he does it because he knows he needs a break.

I don't have a rhythm to my life. I don't even know what my rhythm is. I work until I become a tired zombie. I over-commit, I forget to say no to things, and I work on the weekends. I can maintain this pace for a while, but I eventually burn myself out. I then take a vacation and get re-energized only to get back and start the cycle all over again. Here are a few things I need to force myself to do to create a rhythm...
  • Say no. If a good opportunity ends up wearing me out then I need to say no. This includes double booking our weekends. Last weekend Monica I drove all around town to three different places because we were invited. We hung out for a few hours at each place but it exhausted us.
  • Resting on the weekend. On my days off this week I'm speaking to a leadership conference and then rushing to a wedding rehearsal an hour a way. I have a wedding on Saturday, 5 church services on Sunday, and then I'm going out of town for a conference Monday through Wednesday.
  • Take a break from email on the weekend. I check my email a dozen times on my days off. I think I'm addicted.
  • Make time to take a nap. I need a weekly nap to function. Last Sunday I had a training and couldn't take my nap. I should have organized my weekend so I could have taken a nap on a different day.
  • I need to figure out my rhythm. I need to force myself to rest before I burn out. It takes me too long to recoup when I get burned out.

Does anyone out there have a rhythm to their life. I'd love to hear what you do to avoid burn out.

11 comments:

  1. Yeah, my rhythm is to work each day until I collapse from exhaustion. That sounds healthy, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to take 10-15 minute naps in may car in between appointments and you would be amazed how much it relaxes you, especially in the winter. There were times when I slept and woke up like a ninja because a trash truck drove by but most days it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a rhythm too. Maybe we should seek counseling for being over-committed. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Relax ..let go. It took a divorce for me to understand who was in really in control of my life. Rhythm is a flow. God is the conductor are you a performer or an instrument? If rhythm for you is more like a river ....then are you the dam?
    Analogies aside, Your rhythm may be based in chaos and vacations are pauses between the chaos. Do you feel a sense of urgency even on vacation? I don't get the sense from you that you are chaotic or live in chaos.
    I believe you can make small changes just by having some people come to you instead of you always coming to them and saying no is highly valuable. It shows that you are controlling what you can control. God will open doors for the no to become a yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not to be a smart alec but aren't you SUPPOSED to work weekends?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carlyn, I think it should be required that everyone take a nap everyday. I wish I could make that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shamner, thanks for the comment. It's just easier said than done. I don't mean to double book and stay so busy, but it just seems to happen. Thanks again for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brian, I work on Sundays, but I often work extra on my days off...Friday and Saturday. When I don't have time off I get burned out quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I struggle with realizing I deserve a rhythm...I justify my schedule with, "well, I'm JUST doing this...it's not like i'm (fill in the blank)"

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, my rhythm is TERRIBLE too. I just keep on working until I get sick. Then I stay sick. Then eventually I take a weekend off and, well ask me next week if that works? :)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.