Saturday, July 25, 2009

Finish Strong Part 4

I may not have started strong, but I want to finish well. 

A few weeks ago a new friend of mine told me and my wife, Monica, that we acted like newlyweds.  She then asked how long we have been married and was shocked to hear that it's been almost eight years.  

When I first met Monica she was mean to me.  She had a great relationship with the last youth pastor and wasn't real found of his replacement...me.  It wasn't that she was mean it was just that I didn't know anyone and she appeared to go out of her way to not welcome me.  After a few months I won her over.  I asked her out.  I took her on a date.  I wooed her for an entire week.  At the end of the week I wasn't feeling the connection and I broke up with her.  I know it's cliche but it really wasn't her...it was me.  I had an idea of what I thought I would feel when I found the one.  I expected it to be like Hollywood.  Our relationship was good, but I had an idea that when I met the one I'd be finishing her sentences by the second date.  

A year after the breakup I fell in love with Monica.  I felt like God led us together.  This August we will have been married eight years.  I love when people think we are newlyweds.  It's sad for me to think for most people the only time married people get along with each other is during their first year of marriage.  Today I love being married to Monica.  I hate even thinking about life without her.  We didn't have a storybook beginning, but I believe when we are long and gone we will have lived happily ever after.  

5 comments:

  1. It's little tidbits like this that add to your story of success that are so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. **standing ovation**

    this is BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this series. Lots of interesting background bits I was unaware of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the nicest thing that I have read in a long time. Monica, you are a lucky lucky woman. Rob, you have a treasure in Monica. I pray that you always feel that way about each other. You are undoubtedly blessed to have each other.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.