Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Harry Potter

Up until last week I had never seen a Harry Potter movie. They didn't look interesting to me. Over the years everyone from students at Waters Edge, friends, to my brother were telling me how good the movies were. Monica and I recently borrowed the five movies that are out on DVD. Last week we watched all five movies. Now that I've seen them here are my thoughts...
  • The first two movies are decent but not great. The CGI looks really dated, but that is to be expected because they are older movies.
  • The third and fourth movie pick up steam and are enjoyable movies.
  • The fifth movie was my favorite.
  • I didn't like how Harry and all of his friends lied in the first two movies. Whenever they would get caught for their mischief they would lie to get out of it.
  • By the third movie I was wondering what all these wizards do once they graduate from Hogwarts? Besides becoming a professor or selling wizard wands what else can a graduate do?
  • It was a little unnerving when they said things like divination and incantation. I grew up listening to the Christian music artist Carmen sing about a witches invitation. It painted a vivid picture in my mind of demonic activity surrounded by witches.
  • I personally think that Harry Potter falls in the fantasy world of Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, The Wizard of Oz, and the Narnia series. It was a make believe world of fantasy. Like anything in life there are good and bad things you can pull from the film. Overall it seems to be a series about good versus evil.
  • I'm looking forward to the sixth film. Monica and I plan to see it soon in the theaters. I've heard mixed reviews about it.
  • Overall I've enjoyed watching the movies. I don't think I'll ever own them on DVD. I don't have a desire to watch them again, but I did enjoy them. Whenever we would finish a film we would want to watch the next one to see what happened next.

4 comments:

  1. Please see number six with me! I haven't seen it yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. im so proud rob!
    to answer your question about what they do after they graduate there are many other careers in the ministry of magic. Ron's dad deals with muggle artifacts. he tries to figure out the use of different things in the real world that wizards dont use. one other career is an auror which is what Harry wants to be. They are kind of like wizard fbi or police wizards. they go after and look for the bad wizards. anyways just thought i'd show a glimpse of my nerdy side. I'm glad you have enjoyed watching them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the HP world! Glad you enjoyed the movies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. since we've been dating... Scott has gritted his teeth and gone to the movies with me whenever a new Harry Potter film comes out. With each one he argued less. Anytime the movies come and ABC Family, our TV is locked onto them (no matter how many times we've watched them).
    Scott has now decided to read the books and surprise surprise... is really enjoying them. Maybe one day you'll want to do the same... but regardless, I think it's cool you decided to give Harry a chance.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.