Thursday, November 20, 2008

Working out with women

I've never worked out like a woman before...

On Wednesday after my normal workout at the YMCA I picked up a sheet with times and descriptions of the classes they offer. There is a class on Tuesday and Thursday mornings called powercut. The description said it involved weights and was good for a total body workout. My friend, Danielle Peters, assured me that the classes were guy friendly. She's a girl.


I was nervous to go to the class. I typically don't like trying new things. I also don't like to feel embarrassed, but I am not seeing the same results from my weekly workouts. I needed to try something new.


When I got there I noticed right away that there were no guys anywhere near this class. The women that were there were very nice. I think they felt sorry for me. They made sure I had a mat, a step, and some weights. Normally I would have bailed on this class but I thought what the heck...at least I'll have something to blog about.

Midway through the class the instructor told everyone to get an exercise ball. She described what we were going to do as being similar to ridding a horse. She straddles the exercise ball and then says "you should really feel it in your pubic area." Now I don't know if she forgot that out of the 9 people in the class only one of us was a guy, but when she said that I said "wow this is awkward." I don't know if she heard me or saw my discomfort but she then says "this probably is not a good exercise for gentlemen. Why don't you do some lunges." First off I don't know what a lunge is. Second thank you for giving me the invitation to never take your class again. I ended up standing next to my exercise ball until this exercise was done.

The class did involve a lot of weight lifting. Today my muscles are still sore. Even though that class was awkward and embarrassing it was a really good workout. I think too many times in life I'm afraid to try something new. I'm afraid that I'll fail or look foolish. The truth is that in order to stretch and grow and break out of the same old same old you've got to be willing to take a risk. If you want a great life you've got to be willing to break out of the monotony of your everyday life. Try something new. Allow new experiences to stretch you. Yeah it may be awkward but it will produce results. Who knows how God will use that new experience to sculpt your life.

I think I will go back to the class on Tuesday.

9 comments:

  1. Great post Rob! Good luck riding the horse...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob: Sure I think about you now and then
    But it's been a long, long time
    I've got a good life now, and I've moved on
    So when you cross my mind...

    I try not to think about what might have been
    Cause that was then
    And we have taken different roads
    We can't go back again
    There's no use givin in
    And theres no way to know
    What might have been

    We can sit and talk about this all night long
    And wonder why we didn't last
    Yes, they might be the best days we will ever know
    But we'll have to leave them in the past...

    So try not to think about what might have been
    Cause that was then
    And we have taken different roads
    We can't go back again
    There's no use givin in
    And theres no way to know
    What might have been

    That same old look in your eyes
    It's a beautiful night, I'm so tempted to stay
    But too much time has gone by
    We should just say good bye, and turn and walk away...

    And try not to think about what might have been
    Cause that was then
    And we have taken different roads
    We can't go back again
    There's no use givin in
    And theres no way to know
    What might have been
    No we'll never know, what might have been ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your post I am feeling a great sense of awkwardness from the story that you tell, and I am alone in my office. This must have been a killer for you. I am happy that you made something positive out of the situation instead of running for the hills. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha I enjoy reading your posts, I cant even imagine being in that kind of postition.

    I'll be home for Thanksgiving break though and if I have time before my flight on Sunday I'm gonna try to make it to WEC, I hope to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha but great post!
    -eric-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex, I hope to see you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this post. What the devil is Matt saying? I like that song...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I laughed out loud. Try cycling. Not so awkward, but may hurt your rump a bit. have you been back?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Danielle, I have been back twice. I like it. Monica went with me on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.