Thursday, November 13, 2008

Today I Battle Mark Batterson

Today is an exciting day for me. One of my favorite books in recent memory is the book In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day by Mark Batterson. About two months ago, I was at a Director's Retreat for Waters Edge and during our breaks we played a game called Corn Hole or Baggo or Tailgate Toss. I learned about this game from Mark Batterson's blog. Anyway I suggested to my pastor, Stu Hodges, that we should challenge another church staff at Corn Hole. He threw out Mark Batterson and his staff at NCC.

That night I emailed Mark and challenged him and his staff...he doesn't know me from Adam. I may or may not have ended my email with "if you're scared say you're scared." He's not scared! He wrote a book about chasing lions. In other words...Mark accepted the challenge.

Today we are driving up to meet with the NCC staff for lunch at Ebenezers Coffeehouse. We are going to pick their brains and make some connections. Then after lunch the battle begins. I'm praying that God gives me the right words to say. Sometimes when I'm around people I don't know but I look up to, I get really quiet or I say really stupid things. I think I get quiet because I don't want to say stupid things. Anyway I'm really excited about this!

By the way, if I start losing I am not afraid to pull a Karate Kid and sweep the leg. And that my friends is a perfect example of a stupid thing I might would say to Mark Batterson.

You can follow my day through Twitter. You can subscribe to my Twitter page from my blog.

7 comments:

  1. Good luck to you! I am sure you will come up with many wise and funny things to say! Have fun! You guys left so early this morning. I feel like I hardly know what Philip looks like this week, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Rob, good luck. Might could/would, might could be another stupid thing to say. At least to people from outside this area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's already bragging on his blog about beating you guys!!!

    I've found when I'm get intimidated around successful people I am actually discovering a boundary in my world. The best way I've found to move past that boundary (& avoid saying embarrassing things!) is ask questions, then shut up & listen for answers. Clear, simple questions that indicate perosnal interest have helped me forge some great connections.

    And like Mark says you guys need to pray less & corn hole more - whatever cornhole is!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks John! Hey if you guys weren't in Australia I'd challenge you to a game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey how about a 'missions trip' to Oz?!?!?!

    And I think from your pics that I'd be very good at this game ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with John. Mission trip for sure. Rob get on this!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.