Saturday, November 15, 2008

Monica's Birthday

Today is Monica's birthday. One thing you may have picked up on by reading robshep.com is that we love birthdays! Here's the thing about today...Monica has class at William and Mary from 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM.

So with the help of some friends we celebrated Monica's birthday last night.
  • Here was the plan: friends were going to arrive at 5:50.
  • The limo was going to arrive at 6:00.
  • At 6:05 Monica and I were going to walk out of the house (she thought we were going to Dan and Danielle Peters' house for a birthday dinner) and she would be surprised to see the limo. Then when she got in the limo she would be surprised to see some of her friends.
  • We were riding to Richmond to go to Maggiano's.

Here is what happened:

  • 5:50 Friends arrived close to on time but there was no limo.
  • 6:05 I got a text telling me to stall. Monica hates being late and I had already stalled past 6:05. She was getting impatient.
  • 6:08 I pretended to have to go the bathroom. It was all I could think of. I pretended that it hit me and I couldn't wait. It was the only place I could think of that could buy me some time.
  • 6:12 we went to the car because I couldn't think of any other excuses as to why we weren't leaving.
  • 6:12 I told Monica that Danielle may have a plan to take her out and I asked if she felt comfortable in what she was wearing. I knew she didn't. Monica almost always dresses really nice, but for some reason she came home from work and put on a VA Tech shirt and rain boots. She said thanks for telling her and then said she wouldn't ruin the surprise. She still had no idea what was about to happen.
  • 6:16 I can't stall anymore and Courtney texts me and asks if they should surprise her in the driveway. I said yes.
  • 6:20 we open the door and our friends yell surprise. Monica yelped...it startled her. She was so excited and surprised!
  • 6:21 She still has no idea about the limo and she is busy hugging and talking with everyone. Then finally the limo arrives.
  • 7:45 we arrived a Maggiano's were I had a reservation for us.
  • 9:15 we were just getting our main course. I knew we had to leave by 9:30 to get the limo back on time.
  • 9:30 still waiting for dessert. Maggiano's is a family style restaurant where you pick two appetizers, two salads, two pastas, two entrees, and then two desserts. It's all you can eat and it is amazing!
  • 9:40 we tell the waiter to forget the desserts and just bag em. We will eat them in car.
  • 9:45 the waiter brings out an extra dessert with candles for Monica's birthday. Nice, but we were in a hurry!
  • 9:47 we rush out to the limo. Right away we start digging into the dessert! It was amazing.
  • 11:00 PM we arrive home.

It was a great night and Monica was really surprised. Here are some pics.




5 comments:

  1. Yay for birthday! Thanks babe for making it amazing, as usual. I love living life with you. I am humbled by the love and amazingness of my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you guys had such a great time! What a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOunds like you all had a great time! Happy Birthday Monica!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the play-by-play, Rob, I felt like I was really there :)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.