Thursday, April 3, 2008

Working on a talk

This Sunday I am speaking at Waters Edge. We are in a new series and I have been thinking about my topic for a long time. I am really excited to share what God has been teaching me. So, today I at home writing the talk. It takes lot of focus. Just in case you are interested here is what goes into a typical talk of mine. I spend time praying asking God for what He wants me to say. A lot of times the message comes from what I am reading in the Bible or from what God is convicting me about. This weekend the talk came from being convicted. I then begin writing. I write out every word. Some speakers say that they don't do that because they don't want to stifle what God might say to them on the spot. I feel that if God can say something to you on the spot then He can say something to you while you prep. Personally I think that it is lazy to not think through your talk. I want to make sure I don't waste time talking out the side of my neck. I don't want to waste people's time or God's, so I write out every word. I normally get ADD whil write around page 4 or 5. Around that time it becomes hard for me to focus. I normally take a break and eat something. I then force myself back to the computer to finish the talk. That though is just the rough draft. I then send it to Stu to get some feedback. I will normally take a break until Sat. night. On Sat. I do rewrites and memorize the talk. It normally is between 5 and 6 pages. If you remember please pray for this weekend. I have to give this talk 4 times (3 services and one server service). I have never spoke that much in one day.

1 comment:

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.