Friday, October 15, 2010

An Update About Jogging

So a month ago I posted about how I hate jogging outside. I asked readers to convince me to give it another chance. They did and so I've been jogging 3 to 5 times a week ever since.  I still hate it.

Two weeks ago my knee swelled up like a hemorrhoid on a old person or pregnant woman...take your pick. There wasn't any pain in my knee but it swelled nice and big.  Out of all my years of running on an elliptical I've never had any knee problems.  I will say however that it has gotten easier. I will also say that I do enjoy the challenge of pushing myself to see how far I can go. On Tuesday I went over 3 miles for the first time in my life. 

The following are some interesting things that I've noticed since I started jogging...
  • The first mile is still hard. It's no longer hard because my lungs feel like they are going to explode, but it is hard because I feel like at any moment my legs will give out from under me. One night it was so bad I thought I was going to have to crawl to a strangers house and beg them to let me use their phone to call my wife so she could pick me up. That would have been ha-larious...after the matter. Can you imagine if a fat white guy, who you didn't know, and who looked like he was about to die, crawled up to your doorstep and asked to use the phone?
  • I jog in my neighborhood and certain sections have their own smell.  There is one section that smells like lovely lady perfume. Now lovely lady is not a brand but a thought I have. It smells like a lovely old lady who put way too much perfume on. She's nice and the smell isn't bad, but it slaps you in the face.  There is also the dryer sheet smell. I don't know why it's so strong or consistent, but one corner always smells like someone is drying clothes. There is also a section that smells like a gas leak, and an occasional dog poo smell.
  • After the first mile something kicks in and my body stops hurting. From there it's just a mental game where I have to convince myself to keep going instead of going home to watch TV.
  • It's easier on me to jog at night then in the morning. I don't know why, but I can go farther if I go at night.
  • I like jogging to slower music more than I do upbeat music. I tried this the other day and it helped me keep my pace slower. A slower pace has allowed me to go farther.
  • I sweat a lot. So much so that I've been thinking about carrying around a sweat towel.
  • When I burp I get discouraged. For some reason I feel like a burp pushes me backwards and slows me down. I know it doesn't, but I think that I feel this way because it's the opposite of how I feel when I poot. 
Well that's it for this jogging update. For all you joggers who read my blog...if you have any suggestions for some new jogging shoes I'm going to get some this weekend.  Let me know what you like.

13 comments:

  1. Go to a running store! They will watch you go, then recommend the best type of shoe (stability, etc). I think Ryan and I each got a new pair for $100, so I don't feel like they ripped us off and made us buy the most expensive pair in the place. Plus if you find a brand you like, after the first time you can find them on sale, online etc. But it really does feel better to have the right shoe for your foot. Also, now that you've done 3 miles you should do a 5K!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for sticking with it. My bad knees don't allow me to jog any more. I miss it very much. When I went jogging, it was my time to relax and let my troubles and problems fade away. I know that jogging for 3 miles is a whole different world than an elliptical for 3 miles. So many new and different parts of the body ache and swell. How lovely. Any how, keep it up and let me know if any new smells come up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. props to you man...joggin is not for me...though i imgine you get to see the world wake up...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The burping definitely slows you down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree with the runner's store. Runner's Source is in Port Warwick.

    the first mile does kinda suck, but just wait til you're on mile 10-11. that REALLY sucks.

    if you have any extra cash (cause we all do, ya know), a gps watch is great for running outside. garmin has the best, and it tracks your speed, distance, calories, the works. i wouldn't have been able to run my half marathons without one.

    ummm...let's see...other advice. once you can do over 3, you can do 6. it sounds silly, but it's true. it's that mindset thing. and once you can do over 6, you can do 10.

    keep it up!

    oh, and for the sweat, i have a headband that catches sweat. want to borrow it? it's really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there Rob, I really feel like it gets easier. I've been doing it for years, and some days it is still kind of hard, but I know the benefits are worth it. As for the smells, try running at the beach. *gag* nothing like the constant aroma of dead fish to make you nauseous. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. go to a running store...they fit specific shoes to YOUR feet...they watch you walk, run, swat (sounds weird) and give you a selection of shoes that will work best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yessssssss, rob. so encouraged to hear that you are continuing in your running outside pursuit!!! and a little jealous... my running has decreased markedly since i'm in my 1st trimester. yep, you heard it... i'm preggo. so i suppose i might be having a baby a few weeks or a month after you guys.

    anyway, back to running. the first mile is ALWAYS the hardest... even for people who regularly run long-distance. so don't be discouraged about that. running shoe- definitely would recommend you go to a running store where they can evaluate your stride and whether you need extra support. it's really worth it to spend a little more on running shoes to protect your joints and bones. DON'T go to kohl's and pick the cheapest shoe you can find. as far as brands- that totally depends on your preference. but asics, brooks, and saucony are all good.

    keep persevering rob... great job!
    bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Runner's Source is Port Warwick is a great place to get running shoes. I went there to get mine and they seem pretty friendly and are reasonable in prices. 5K's are a great idea. Just did my first one about 2 weeks ago and it's an amazing feeling when you cross that finish line. Good luck with your running!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Brooks Adrenaline. I have worn that style for several years. Your running shoes will generally be a size larger to account for foot expansion in the toe box when running.
    It will be turning cold soon so I recommend you also get some running gloves. I find that my fingers get cold while running but the rest of me is hot.
    It you fear for your life from dogs or other things while running miles from your home with only a pair of shoes and a watch to protect you. I recommend a telescoping steel shaft from GI Joes. Helps keep the Boogey man thoughts away while running at night. Keep it up. There are many 5K events year around. Steve R

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. The beginning is always the toughest while your body gets warmed up - some fast-walking and stretching before you actually start may help some. I agree on signing up for a 5k now that you've broken the 3-mile barrier. It helps keep you motivated to run, and it actually is pretty fun getting out and running with a bunch of other people. As far as the burping goes, I've got nothing. Maybe if you swallow them instead of letting them come out, they'll come out as poots later and push you forward? But good for you for sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. gotta be honest (and I'm totally revealing that I'm not a real runner by saying this), used to run (outside), and now I do the elyptical. It's kind of hard to trade watching sportcenter and getting caught up on the news while working out for sweating your butt off and dodging traffic. I know that's bold, but I'm just putting that out there. I feel you on the running thing. PS loved the "crawled up to your doorstep" line... that would indeed be pretty stinkin ha-larious :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rob, I'm pretty sure you would now beat me in a 3 mile race. I can do 2, but I'm pretty sure I'd die on the 3rd mile.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.