Thursday, October 21, 2010

Valley God

I think that most of us have a limited view of God. I think we underestimate His love for us. I think we underestimate His jealousy. God wants our hearts, minds, and devotion; and He's jealous when we give it to something else.  I think we underestimate God because we see Him with a limited perspective. 

I recently read a passage in the Bible that grabbed my attention.  Israel is at war with another nation. They are outnumbered vastly. God speaks through a prophet and says, "Because the Arameans think the Lord is a god of the hills and not a god of the valleys, I will deliver this vast army into your hands, and you will know that I am the Lord." - 1 Kings 20:28.

God acts on Israel's behalf because an army that attacked them viewed God as a God of the hills and not the valleys.  This nation had a limited view on God and they suffered for it. Similarly we suffer when we limit our perspective of God. God is not a God of the good times only. He's still God during the hard times. God is God who cares about us. He cares about our needs, wants and desires. God is a God who is faithful. God is a God who passionately wants a relationship with us. 

For me it's easy to remember that God is good when I'm on the hills. In other words it's easy to remember that God is good when my life is good. But God is good when I'm in the valley just as much as when I'm on the hill. God is still in control. God is a valley God just as much as He is a hill God. 

4 comments:

  1. I know you wrote this primarily for yourself, but I needed to be reminded of this today as well. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Throughout the Bible, it's clear the God can and does sometimes lead people into valleys in order for them to see and love Him better...it says that the Spirit lead Jesus into the dessert to be tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful perspective and interesting reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob, I love the fact that you get that God is good! It's not always easy to accept the path we are on as part of that but he is still good. The wonder of what we see down in the valley would be missed if we only had the vast beauty seen from the hilltops. Rob,God has grown you to be a good man of God...a good pastor, husband, counselor, friend, and daddy to-be!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.