Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My Life Would Suck Without You

On my jog last night my iPod was set on shuffle and the Kelly Clarkson song, "My Life Would Suck Without You" came on. Yes I have some Kelly Clarkson on my iPod and no I'm not too prideful to admit it. I like some of her music. I digress.

While listening to the chorus of that song I couldn't help but think of how my life would literally suck without God.  Now I have a lot of great things in my life. In fact most days I love my life! I feel I live a charmed life, but without God it would suck.

I don't remember a lot from my Greek classes in Seminary, but I do remember the word "skubala." Skubala means poop, but it's more equivalent to the the vulgar term that rhymes with spit. As a kid I heard another kid tell a joke with this word in it..."Shhh it's around the corner." Now this isn't a word that I use. I don't even feel comfortable writing the joke that makes two words form this word. 

The context of this word comes from Paul's letter to the Philippians. He wrote, " What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ." The word that is translated rubbish is actually a nicer version of this word. The point is that Paul was saying that he considers everything in his life poo compared to knowing Christ. He had accomplished a lot of great things, but they are skubala compared to knowing Jesus. In other words his life would have sucked without God. 

I'm not trying to preach in this blog. I just couldn't help but write about it. Last night while jogging I was overwhelmed with the blessing of having God in my life. Without him my life would suck...or if you prefer it'd be skubala. 

5 comments:

  1. Amen brother. Powerful and well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The family I grew up in had some positives, but there were also some extremely dysfunctional influences. Having grown up in that environment, I often confess, "but for the grace of God, there go I." I'm far from perfect, but Jesus provided another path--salvation, here and now, as well as eternal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love greek word studies and how they can completely change the way I percieve a scripture. Paul rocks! Thanks for this post, it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.