Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Mama Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Halloween Sluts?

What are you going to be for Halloween? That's a question that gets asked a lot around this time of year.  According to multiple students, and some parents, one of the top answers high school girls give to that question is, "I'm going to be a slutty _____.  A slutty nurse, a slutty school girl, a slutty army soldier, and even a slutty, I don't know what I am, are some of the costumes students are baring for Halloween.  The key is to find a costume and make it slutty.

Now the following is not me being judgmental. The worth of the person isn't changed by what they wear. However, I am making a judgment. You say, "what's the difference?" I say, "the difference is I'm not questioning the worth of the people involved." There are lots of things in this life that we should make judgments about. For example I know a lot of people like to snort liquor and drink crack, but I've made a judgment call to abstain because of personal convictions.  You make judgements about lots of things. Whether or not to overeat, exercise, watch hours of TV, or look both ways before crossing the street are all judgment calls that you can make.  In this life it is wise to look at a situation and then make a judgment based on how you think it will affect your life. If it affects your life in a negative way then it's not best for you. It doesn't change a person's worth if they disagree with you. I'm simply making an observation and giving some alternative options. If a person doesn't agree with me I still feel like they have worth and value.

The definition of a slut is
a. A person, especially a woman, considered sexually promiscuous.


b. A woman prostitute.

2. A slovenly woman; a slattern.

I'm just not sure that's what any girl should want to represent. I don't even know what a slattern is, but it doesn't sound respectable.  I know they are just having fun. I know they don't see themselves as that. In fact I know some great girls who have vowed to save themselves for marriage and are still representing something slutty for Halloween.  I know that it's perceived to be cute. I know many teenagers will disagree with me, but I just think that there are other options.
 
I know I'm old school in thinking but I believe that if it's not on the menu you shouldn't advertise it. In other words if your not a slut don't represent one. Sure you could say the same thing about being a bum for Halloween. I mean nobody aspires to be a bum, but dressing as a bum doesn't cause guys to think impure thoughts.  With so many options out there for girls I wish more of them would not use Halloween as an excuse to dress slutty. Some things just shouldn't be seen by everyone. What are your thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. THANK you for saying what most of us have been DYING to say to these parents/girls. I agree!! I don't think girls think about what older guys (or any really) are thinking when they see them. Or how they can be contributing to someones husband or son or dad to think impure thoughts - which btw, the Bible clearly says IS sin itself. Not just the act, but the thought. Thank you for sharing this, for us all. Girls can be cute in many more ways than dressing (or lack of dressing) in this manner. Otherwise, what guy wants a girl that can't even respect her own self? Or worse, what type of guy are they attracting? Now THAT'S a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. all I can say is AMEN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob, great thoughts today. This is a prime issue to ascend the soap box on. You do sound "old school", but hopefully some will hear you and at least consider your words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a 22 year old guy all i can say is AMEN. I never celebrated halloween as a kid but throughout high school and college i've seen this taking place and personally i think its ridiculous. I much more respect and admire a girl who can be cute within the bounds of modesty...as they say Modest is the Hottest ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a parent I totally agree--I would say no way to my daughter if she wanted a costume like that when she is a little older. And I think it's ridiculous that nearly ALL the costumes for women in a costume store are a "slutty" something. And it's not a good idea for girls/women to dress that way as a general rule.

    In defense of the "good girls" that may want to do that, Halloween may be viewed as an opportunity to "play a part" or be something you are not for one day. Similar to an actor playing the "bad guy" or whatever role that is completely not how they are in real life. Most actors love that opportunity, and if they are good,usually that is where they shine. No one wants to "play" the hero all the time.

    While I still think it would be better not to dress as a "slutty" whatever for Halloween for all the reasons you stated, it can be fun for the person who is dressing up to "play a part" for a special occasion. Slutty may not be the best choice, but probably more often than not, it would be like an actor playing the bad guy/girl for the role of a lifetime. Actors have to represent what they are not all the time, Halloween could be viewed in a similar way--a chance for those who are not actors who play roles for a living--to get the chance to do the same.

    I'm not going as a slutty whatever.....:) And I agree there are plenty of other options that would allow them to play the part of something else for the day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You said it so well. I agree with your sentiments exactly. I also worry about my granddaughters in that respect. I don't want them attracting the wrong type of person, even inadvertently. You don't have to be a slutty anything to dress up for Halloween. Thanks, Rob.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.