Monday, October 25, 2010

Rocky - The Musical


I never noticed that Rocky Balboa had a musical. That all changed last week.

I'm a big fan of the Rocky movie franchise. When we went to Philadelphia I had a CD with the Rocky theme ready. It played on repeat as we drove around the city. One of my goals in life was to run the museum steps that were made famous in Rocky I and II.  I ran them both times I went to Philly.  I own all six of the movies and will watch them at least once a year.

Last week I had the privilege to watch Rocky IV.  It's probably my favorite in the Rocky series. As I watched it I couldn't help but notice something that I had never noticed before. There are a ton of musical montages in the movie. Now most movies have a musical montage. It's where a song is played as the actors do something. It could be a flashback scene. It could happen when the hero of the movie turns things around. Or in Rocky's case it could be as he trains for a big fight.  You may have never noticed it before, but the next time you watch a movie I'll bet that there will be a music montage of some sort. 

Rocky IV has 6 music montages. I think that constitutes it as a musical. They are all awesome, but it is a lot of musical montages. There's the beginning of the movie where "Eye of the Tiger" plays. There's Apollo Creed's fight entrance to Living in America by James Brown. There's the epic flashback scene, the arrival in Russia and two, count em, two training montages. Finally there is the classic theme that plays during the final fight scene of the movie.  If you are a fan then you'll appreciate and remember the following...

7 comments:

  1. Rocky, ...., hmmm, never heard of it. Probably before my time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rocky was a southpaw?....Who knew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I oughta pay better attention when watching such movies lol. This clip shows him throwin the hard left, I never noticed before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the few things in life we both don't love....Rocky. I do enjoy watching you run the steps everytime we go to Philly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a fan of the series. I think number 5 shouldn't have happened. I love Rocky 4 but I am partial to number 3...because I mean It's Mr. T (Prediction...PAIN)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And this is taking up another comment but did you change up the blog the comment section is new...did you move to word press or tumblr...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brian, I added Disqus to my blog. I'm still at Blogger. Disqus is a new comment system.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.