Thursday, July 22, 2010

Rotten Fruit

I've been grumpy this week. I don't really know why. My grumpiness has led to a lack of patience, anger at idiot drivers, and screaming at my video game for being stupid. I really think the game I'm playing cheats. I hate losing. I digress.

 I feel like everyone is entitled to a grumpy day right? On the other hand grumpiness is a sign that something is wrong with my heart. Sure it's not the end of of the world, but according to the Bible Christ Followers are supposed to produce Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self Control...not grumpiness. The Bible calls those characteristics the Fruit of the Spirit. When analyzing my grumpiness I had this thought about fruit...

Fruit is most excellent. It's healthy, tastes amazing, and some of it even keeps the dentist away. I'd take fruit over vegetables every day of the week. But fruit doesn't stay fresh forever. It's starts off great, but after a little while it starts to rot. I think it's interesting that the Bible says that when Christ Followers live for God they produce amazing fruit. Too many people think that one dose of God will produce lasting change. One dose of God on Sunday may produce a little fruit, but eventually it goes bad. I think long lasting change comes from a continual daily pursuit of God.  Now don't get me wrong...it's not God that goes bad. It's the effects that don't last. It's like buying great fruit from the Farmers Market and expecting it to last all year. 

So my grumpiness is a sign that the fruit in my life is going bad. If I'm not producing love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control then it's a sign that fruit in my life is starting to rot. The only cure is to pour into my relationship with God and allow Him to produce some fresh fruit.

5 comments:

  1. fresh perspective (haha)...I like the way one pastor said it, that the Cross is never a thing we can kinda prop ourselves up on and show it to other people like it's our trophy...even the believer who has followed for 20 yrs falls on his face at the Cross, and to others he says "there's room..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. or, it means you need a pick-me-up. like a fun date with monica, or a good work out at the y...or, it could just mean you're grumpy. it happens. take it out on the game--it probably is cheating.

    "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is sacred to our Lord." Nehemiah 8:10

    "We pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God." Colossians 1:10

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spoken like a righteous man who understands that something is not right. Let go what needs to be let go. Forgive what needs to be forgiven. Go to Chipotle for lunch and take care of business. Remember, my advice is relevant and clinical, as I am a doctor. Blessings and peace to you today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true. I find my kids know how to bring out the grumpy in me...like just now when Merrick dumped his entire bowl of cereal on the floor. I want to get to a place where I don't have so many grumpy days...but I know it's probably always going to be a struggle.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.