Monday, July 5, 2010

If I Was In Charge I'd Amend the 4th of July

I love America! It's because of that I'd like to amend the celebration of the 4th of July.  July 4th is a celebration of America's independence.  As far as holidays go I'd say it ranks near the bottom of major holidays in America. It's definitely behind Christmas and Thanksgiving.  I'd say it doesn't even feel like as big of a deal as New Years.  The following are some ways I'd like to amend July 4th to make it a better holiday...
  • I think on the 4th of July everyone should have to hug a solider. It needs it's own thing. Christmas has trees and gifts. Easter has egg hunts. Halloween has costumes and candy.  It would be kind of like a competition.  The whole point of the day would be to find a soldier to hug em.  I think kids would get into that.
  • I think gifts are a great thing and might as well be given on July 4th. I love gifts. Now, they don't have to be presents like Christmas. It could be taking someone out to lunch, doing something nice for a fellow American, or giving away something that you don't use to someone who could use it. I just think all Americans should give something away to celebrate freedom.
  • I think restaurants should give away something free. I mean Tropical Smoothie gives away free smoothies on "National Flip Flop Day."  You'd think that our nations independence would garner at least a free drink.
  • I think we should get the whole first week of July off from work and not just one day.  Memorial Day gets one day. Thanksgiving gets one day. New Years gets one day. To set July 4th apart from the rest of the holidays I motion that we get a week off from work.  I've heard that in Europe they take the whole month of August off for vacation.  If they can do that then Americans can afford to have a week off to celebrate freedom. 
  • I think we should say "Happy 4th" to each other.  I heard a few people say it but it was almost a joke.  Americans say "Happy Thanksgiving" and "Happy New Year" to each other with pride, so why not "Happy 4th?" If July 4th wants to become a major player in the holiday game then it needs people to boldly greet one another with "Happy 4th."
  • I think musical artists should start making July 4th songs.  For the weekend of July 4th my church kicks things off with a patriotic song.  For the last two years our only options have been "Party in the USA," "Livin' In America," "I'm proud to be an American," and "The National Anthem." There are a few other songs out there, but I'm telling you it's slim pickings when it comes to great songs about America.  Every band releases a Christmas album, so why not a July 4th album?
  • I think the movie "The Patriot" should play on TBS for 24 hours on July 4th.  TBS plays "A Christmas Story" for 24 hours at Christmas so why not "The Patriot" on July 4th?
  • I think for the month of June all men should have to grow a sweet mustache.  Then as a celebration of being free all men should shave them off on July 4th and have to yell "FREEDOM" after they shave. 

5 comments:

  1. Grow a sweet mustache huh? Not a bad idea. Perhaps I will start on mine now for next year. Then I could say that my not shaving wasn't because I was lazy, it is because a love my country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freedom was a Braveheart quote though ...I don't recall him using it again in the Patriot, nevertheless, I agree with you about the 4th should be more special. I watch Independence Day every year and this year I realized its 14 years old (that is a wayback time machine). I think fireworks a a great way to set the holiday apart from others even more so than New Years. My biggest problem is the heat in July.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shamner, I know "Freedom" is a Braveheart quote. The Patriot is all about the Revolutionary War and that's why it's should be watched on July 4th. They just happen to star the same actor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a feeling that the Sweet Mustache was Bobby Pegram Inspired....

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.