Thursday, July 8, 2010

Triple Feature Movie Review: Knight and Day

Like him or not Tom Cruise is one of the most consistent actors in Hollywood.  Every big time actor has at least one what were you thinking movie.  Will Smith has "Wild Wild West," Tom Hanks has "The Lady Killers," and Tom Cruise has "Eyes Wide Shut." With the exception of one or maybe two movies Cruise is ridiculously consistent. He makes quality movies. You may not like him as a person but it's hard to deny the quality of films that he makes.

Knight and Day is not one of Tom's best movies but it's well done.  The chemistry between Cruise and co-star Cameron Diaz is evident.  The action is spectacular. The jokes are well timed and funny.  The biggest problem I have with this movie is that it feels like it's already been done.  It's a different movie, but it looks and feels like "Mr. and Mrs. Smith."  It probably doesn't help that a few weeks before "Knight and Day" came out, Ashton Kutcher released "Killers." Every time I saw a preview for "Killers" it was shortly followed by a preview for "Knight and Day," which was followed up by someone saying isn't that the same movie? Cruise's waining popularity and the fact that "Knight and Day" feels so familiar is probably going to keep most people away from this movie. 

I think it's a good summer movie. If you are looking for to escape the heat, and you've seen all the other summer blockbusters I think you'd like "Knight and Day." It's rated PG-13 for action/violence, and a handful of swears.  I give it one thumb up.

robshep.com's Rating System

Two Thumbs up = I loved it, worth paying full price, and I will own it on DVD.
One Thumb up = An OK movie, worth a matinee showing, and I may buy it on DVD if I see it in the $5 bin.
Thumb to the side = Wait and rent it. I wouldn't be mad if someone gave me this DVD, but I wouldn't buy it.
Thumbs down = I hated it, wish I wouldn't have wasted money on it, wouldn't own it on DVD

This is 2 of 3 reviews that will be posted today. Come back at 5:00 PM (Eastern Standard Time) to read review 3 of 3.

3 comments:

  1. The closest I will get to seeing this movie is enduring the trailer that I had to sit through when I say Shrek. I guess I'm not a huge Tom fan. I did like The Last Samurai, but I saw it on HBO from the comfort of my living room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this movie. Good action, humor, romance, and I'm not really a Tom fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We saw this one too and thought the same...its a great renter..if you want to wait haha

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.