Friday, July 23, 2010

Even if you were perfect...

I should have known better. Nothing good comes from anonymous letters. I was consumed by this letter from a person who I didn’t know. I felt great about my talk at church until I read their letter the first time. Now on my fourth reading it was starting to consume me. It didn’t matter that I had received a lot of positive feedback about my talk. It didn’t matter that I had preached my heart out. It didn’t even matter that this person was borderline insane with many of their accusations. All that mattered was that they were tearing me and my talk apart.

As I read the letter for a fourth time I heard a still small voice say to me “even if you preached a perfect sermon someone would crucify it.” I can’t tell you how thankful I am for that still small voice. I’ve gone on to apply that phrase to many areas of my life. Whenever I make a decision I try to remind myself that someone is not going to like it. Whether it's picking a restaurant for a group of friends to eat at, saying no to someone, or writing a blog post someone is not going to like my decision. I’m not perfect even on my best day, but as a pastor some people will even crucify my imperfections. Jesus is perfect and yet people still crucified the things He said and did. If that's the case I shouldn't expect any less.  The truth is I'm addicted to people pleasing and it's that desire that needs to be crucified. 

8 comments:

  1. I sense your pain brother. I too don't take criticism well and can't seem to let it go, even if it is a drop in an ocean of positivity. I read recently a prayer from Chuck Swindoll where he asked God for a thick skin and a soft heart. That is exactly what I need as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stinks Rob! I know how hard it can be to work so hard and pour your heart into something only to have someone insult your hard work. For what it's worth, I LOVED "at the movies" and loved the talks you gave! You can always tell when you're preaching that you have your whole heart in it, you're so passionate about God and about sharing His story with us. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kim! Even though I just wrote this the letter actually happened a couple of years ago. I entered this blog for a chance to be a guest post on another bloggers site. I don't know if I'll win, but I thought I might as well post it on my site. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck in the contest.... my comments still stand true :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the same way. When someone criticizes me I totally freak out and get my feelings hurt. Billy is better about taking it into consideration and not beating himself up, but I just feel crushed. I'm glad you shared this...its' definitely something I need to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only Jesus is perfect. I come to church to listen to you or Stu and help me get closer to him. I know you guys pour everything you have into you sermons. WE LOVE THEM! Your sermons are the reason I am at WEC. Just remember the difference you make in so many peoples' lives. You guys really make a difference. My week is not the same if I am not there on Sunday. There are always going to be super critical people listening and just WAITING to tear apart any and everything you say. So what? The difference you make supersedes anything negative they have to say. Keep preachin', you guys rock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. seriously....if they dont have the backbone to put their name to it, it is garbage...i cant stand jellyfish commentators...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah the anonymous complaint letter. It's almost worth scanning to the end first, and if there is no name burn it before it burns you...but then again what if its a nice one lol. Generally though, nice letter are signed.

    Hope you were able to shake it off.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.