Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Top Movies for Men

Some movies are made for women.  Think Pride and Prejudice or Center Stage. These are movies guys will avoid like the plague. Then there are chick flicks that most guys can tolerate.  Think Hitch or most  movies with Reese Witherspoon.  There are even some movies that are gender neutral. Think The Blind Side or Slumdog Millionaire. Finally there are movies made for men.

There are some movies that I love that Monica can't tolerate.  To me that is a sign of a man's movie.  I recently watched the movie Predator staring Arnold Schwarzenegger.  It's without a doubt the most manly movie ever created. There is no love interest, the plot is simple to understand...jacked up guys are being hunted by an alien, and there are very memorable quotes..."I don't have time to bleed".  Watching it made me think of other movies that are made for men.
  • Rocky IV - Rocky movies are the guys answer to dance flicks.  I can't stand dance movies! In the same way my wife can't stand anything Rocky.  The first IV Rocky movies are most excellent, but Rocky IV is the ultimate man movie.  
  • Die Hard - probably the greatest action movie ever created. If you don't like it I question your manhood. 
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark - what guy doesn't love this movie? 
  • Terminator 2 - this is one of those movies that I'm definitely not watching if Monica is home. 
  • Blade - now this is the way vampires should be. They don't sparkle and the only love going on is Blade's love for killing them. 
  • Rambo - My wife has even more hate for Rambo then she does for Rocky. 
So that's my list of the ultimate man movies. Did I forget any?  

12 comments:

  1. What about the classic Princess Fairy Sprinkle Dust? Oh crap, I'm sparkling. I should have kept that one to myself! Now I am vampire meat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cowboy movies? like the old ones, i mean. outlaw josie wales, etc...clint eastwood...or how about hidalgo. ugh. i've seen both of those movies about a thousand times. andy is drawn to them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tombstone. definitely awesome manly cowboy movie.

    and I'm sure the Expendables will fit right in once it's released on August 13th in theaters

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like most of those movies! I love a good action movie. I don't like Rambo though...or scary movies which I generally put in the man category.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve would say Blazing Saddles. I doze off every time I try to watch it, so I still haven't seen it from start to finish.

    I think the action/adventure movies appeal to more than just men. I like all the movies you mentioned that I've seen. (Haven't seen Rambo, Rocky 1&2, or Blade). They are typically the ones you want to see on the big screen.

    I agree with Lindsey that the old cowboy movies are strictly for men.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clint Eastwood in Grand Torino-vulgar as it gets, but as manly as it gets without being bloody and over the top. Clint knows he's bad and isn't afraid of crapola.

    Lethal Weapon-come on Rob! How did this one miss the list?

    Just saw Ninja Assassin-bloody, minimal love interest, and fight scenes are well shot. In my personal top 5.

    Gladiator, Last Samurai, and Braveheart-great story lines and violence.

    The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly-manliest western ever

    BTW: Predator is and will always be my fav movie of all time. Dutch: "Your one ugly MFer." (Edited fo your ears yo!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt, I thought about you when I watched Predator. The last time I watched it was when I borrowed your copy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. uhmm didn't see Iron Man anywhere on this little list of yours. Quite frankly this disheartens me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steffy, Iron Man prob should have made the list. It is one of my favorite movies. But so many girls really like that movie that I didn't know if it should make the top list. Another favorite of mine that didn't make the list was the Dark Knight. It didn't make it for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well I have to admit, like you said a couple of weeks ago, Iron man is more of a manly movie. It's not like a princess fairy happy unicorn movie. It's crazy action packed iron man

    ReplyDelete
  11. well I have to admit, like you said a couple of weeks ago, Iron man is more of a manly movie. It's not like a princess fairy happy unicorn movie. It's crazy action packed iron man. Now I will also say that girls do like it however if you want my expertise (because I am a chicka) I would classify it under a man movie. As for the dark knight, you may be right on that one.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.