Thursday, July 8, 2010

Triple Feature Movie Review: Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Stephenie Meyer must have written some really good books when she wrote the Twilight Saga. I think the books have put a spell over American woman.  The books have captivated these girls so much they are blind to the fact that the first two Twilight movies are awful. Even if they admit that they are awful they still went to see them multiple times and made both films gross a lot of money. 

Now I never saw the first Twilight, but because I love my wife I took her to see the sequel, "New Moon."  I was told that "New Moon" was a much better movie than "Twilight." There have been very few times where I actually wanted to bang my head against something so I would pass out.  Watching "New Moon" was one of those times.  Let's just say I'm not a big fan of that movie, and if that movie is way better than the first I can safely say the first movie is awful. 

My wife does an amazing job of supporting the things that I like.  She does such a good job that I feel bad ripping on the Twilight series.  After she saw "Eclipse" she promised that it was better than "New Moon." She also said that she would be interested in seeing it again.  So this past Tuesday night I willingly took my wife to see the latest Twilight movie. 

"New Moon" made me want to lick the movie theater floor in hope that I'd pass out from disgust.  "Eclipse" was a very different feeling.  It's still not an amazing movie, but it was way more enjoyable than the last film.  For one there was an actual conflict that made sense. There was a bad girl, an army of vampires, and a climatic ending.  The acting is not the best that I've seen, but it's not as bad as some people are saying. Truth be told I would enjoy it much more if "Blade" was in the movie and he was trying to kill the sparkling vampires, but for what it was it wasn't awful.  If it was just me I'd give this movie a thumb to the side, but compared to the first two films I'm going to give it one thumb up.  "Eclipse" is rated PG-13 for a few swears, and some minor action violence.


robshep.com's Rating System

Two Thumbs up = I loved it, worth paying full price, and I will own it on DVD.
One Thumb up = An OK movie, worth a matinee showing, and I may buy it on DVD if I see it in the $5 bin.
Thumb to the side = Wait and rent it. I wouldn't be mad if someone gave me this DVD, but I wouldn't buy it.
Thumbs down = I hated it, wish I wouldn't have wasted money on it, wouldn't own it on DVD

This is 3 of 3 reviews that will be posted today, thus the name...Triple Feature.

7 comments:

  1. wow. you gave it a thumbs up...nice. was waiting on this one b/c i knew you were going the other day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lick the theater floor hoping to pass out from disgust, now that was a funny line. Perhaps the best thing about being single is that I don't have to go see non-appealing chick-ish movies. Vive la guerre!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Rob i think this is very sweet of you to make a attempt to check it out with her... Now, On the other hand, she does disagree on the best restaurant ever which happens to chipotle, so you can agree to disagree on some things... So it is ok to not like the twilight series... Now I’m just waiting for like a mind dump or something that references my sweet new Tattoo, lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bobby, she still supports me and even eats there from time to time. She doesn't love it like I do but she still supports it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your reasoning behind your thumb up. From everything I've heard and read Eclipse is the best in the film series. Still, to me, that's like saying Mmmbop was the best song by Hanson. I do, however, think it's important to be willing to compromise for your significant other. While I can't stand Twilight or the obsession around it, I think I would be willing to compromise if someone I loved wanted me to go see it with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a few tshirts i thought you might like:

    http://www.cafepress.com/+team_edward_except_womens_vneck_dark_tshir,411358997

    http://www.cafepress.com/+twilight_sparkly_vampires_womens_fitted_tshirt_,360281203

    http://www.cafepress.com/+womens_dark_tshirt,381925978

    and one of the best:
    http://www.cafepress.com/+twilight_wife_ruiner_white_tshirt,377819558

    enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My only comment, as I really actually love the movies and books. Is that Twilight was 10x better then new moon movie wise. Really for me book wise as well. I am not a typical guy in this respect as my top ten movies of all time include A walk to Remember and Here on Earth. Twilight had a better plot, less cheesy scenes, and a clearer "bad group of people" one of which is the same main villain from Eclipse.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.