Thursday, July 8, 2010

Triple Feature Movie Review: Shrek Forever After

Making a sequel to a movie has to be difficult. If it wasn't then more movie franchises would do it successfully.  If a movie can make it past a sequel it is close to a guarantee that the third movie will have lost some of the luster of the first two films.  If a film franchise makes it to a fourth movie it means one of two things.  Either the movie franchise is cheap to make and the studio can easily make their money back (think Saw, Home Alone, Land Before Time, or Friday the 13th) or the franchise is extremely loved.

Shrek produced two incredibly original and funny movies.  The third Shrek fell way short of the first two films. It lacked the big laughs and the story didn't advance the movie franchise. It was billed as Shrek with kids, but his kids are barely in the movie.  Even though it made a lot of money it still fell way short. 

Shrek Forever After is a way better movie than the third one.  It's funny, entertaining, and a good movie to bring the kids to.  I liked the fourth Shrek, but I didn't love it.  I think the reason is because once again it doesn't really advance the Shrek story.  It's more of an adventure with Shrek and his pals. I'm glad they made this movie because it is way better than the third film, but it still falls short compared to the first two films in the series. 

Shrek is rated PG for some cartoon action. I give it one thumb up.

robshep.com's Rating System

Two Thumbs up = I loved it, worth paying full price, and I will own it on DVD.
One Thumb up = An OK movie, worth a matinee showing, and I may buy it on DVD if I see it in the $5 bin.
Thumb to the side = Wait and rent it. I wouldn't be mad if someone gave me this DVD, but I wouldn't buy it.
Thumbs down = I hated it, wish I wouldn't have wasted money on it, wouldn't own it on DVD

This is one of three reviews that will be posted today. Come back at 12:00 PM (Eastern Standard Time) to read review 2 of 3.

1 comment:

  1. I saw this one with my daughter and we both enjoyed it. Good movie for the children with no worries of inappropriate words, messages, actions. Glad we made time for it.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.