Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What to say to a pastor after a sermon...Part 3

I don't want anyone to think they need to walk on egg shells when they see a pastor after they preach. The point of this series of posts is to choose your words carefully.

I once worked at a church where the pastor would stand at the door and shake hands with everyone as they left. I spoke on a Sunday once and the pastor asked me to come with him to the doors. I've never received so many forced compliments in my life. If you didn't like the talk or if God didn't speak to you don't feel pressure to say anything after the talk.

If you did enjoy the talk let the pastor know but avoid words like actually or normally. For example "Normally I sleep through your sermons but this one kept my attention."

The best compliment you can give a pastor is if God spoke to you. At the end of the day there are only a couple of people's opinions that I really look to after I speak. I care about what my wife says and what my pastor says. The comments that really get me amped are the ones where people say God spoke to them. If someone makes a change in their life because of something God said to them through my talk then I get excited.

Concluded.

1 comment:

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.