Saturday, May 2, 2009

Movie Review - X-Men Origins: Wolverine

The Summer Movie Season started this past Friday with the release of X-Men Origins: Wolverine. If you haven't been following the X-Men movie franchise then you may not know that this is a prequel to the first three X-Men films. The movie focuses on the origin of the X-Men's most popular character Wolverine.

X-Men origins is good but not great. In my opinion it's better then the third X-Men movie, but it doesn't compare to the second. The story is interesting, the action is intense, and the characters are cool. My only two constructive criticisms are the CGI at times looked really fake and the movie didn't offer me any surprises. I'm a hard movie critic. I see a lot of movies. If a movie is going to really wow me it has to give me something new or surprise me. If I can't tell where a movie is going or if they do something unpredictable my value of the movie goes way up. X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a good way to start the Summer Movie Season, but it falls way short compared to last summers movie heroes in spandex...or iron. I give it one thumb up.

Rob's Rating System: Two Thumbs up = I loved it, worth paying full price, and I will own it on DVD.

One Thumb up = An OK movie, worth a matinee showing, and I may buy it on DVD if I see it in the $5 bin.

Thumb to the side = Wait and rent it. I wouldn't be mad if someone gave me this DVD, but I wouldn't buy it.

Thumbs down = I hated it, wish I wouldn't have wasted money on it, wouldn't own it on DVD.

4 comments:

  1. definite YES to being better than X-Men 3.... but still.... they got 2 of my fave characters wrong (Deadpool and Gambit).... SUCH a bummer

    i will say... dude who played Gambit had the look and the 'tude down.... but that thick Cajun accent is SO essential

    and Ryan Reynolds is perfect for Deadpool, but they ruined his character just to have a big bad to fight at the end

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks man. will be checking it out...maybe at the dollar theatre...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me and Billy really wanted to go see this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wonder, why do super-heroes always frown when posing for a picture?

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.