Friday, May 1, 2009

What Job Would I Have If I Didn't Work at A Church

This past week I went to a conference with my pastor, Stu Hodges (speaking of Stu, you can now follow Stu's every move on Twitter). One night at dinner Stu asked me what I would do if I was not in ministry.

This was really hard for me to answer. I think my first response to him was "I'd be screwed." After a few minutes of brain racking (this is hard to do some times but it is a lot less painful then the other kind of racking I have experienced) I came up with a short list. Here are the other jobs I would try to do if I weren't in ministry...

Jobs For Rob If Rob Wasn't In Ministry

  1. ESPN personality/broadcaster - before I felt led to do ministry this is what I'd tell people I wanted to become
  2. College Professor
  3. Author
  4. I think I would attempt to work at Catalyst. They have a lot of fun and put on one of my favorite conferences every year
  5. Counselor
  6. Secret Shopper
  7. Entertainer
  8. Church consultant

So that's my list. What would you do if you weren't doing your job?

11 comments:

  1. Interesting list....ummm, what kind of entertainer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I wasn't a nuclear physicist (I knew this is what I was going to be since I was a child), I could see myself as a chemist, an engineer, a consultant, a migrant worker, a pickle factory foreman, or a skunk wrangler. But these last few are just off the top of my head. So don't hold me to them on career day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, like a TV personality, magician, or hip hop artist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes, I think I would enjoy being part of a writing team--textbooks, magazine contributor, editor, company publicity, etc. I also enjoy public speaking but don't want to travel for workshop type presentations. Fortunately, I can combine each of these skills in teaching and am quite content working as a teacher and writing consultant at TNCC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. anything, I'm not that picky. I've had like 50 different jobs before settling on Real Estate. My degree has nothing to do with my job... I really would be ok with just about anything. In fact, when I go to McDonalds, I often think what I would do differently if I owned my own or even if I just worked there (I do this with just about every business / organization I see).

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmm, if I had to I could get a job where I actually used my accounting degree but I don't think that would be much fun.
    I love my job now. I want to keep it for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for clearing that up Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would be on Broadway..I might still be just wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stay at home mom. Principal. Rob's manager. Photographer. Personal shopper. Laker girl. Haunted Fun House owner. Really though, I just like to be in charge of people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like being in charge of people too, Mon! But I would love to be a pre-school teacher of 4s and 5s! Maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.