Saturday, December 19, 2009

Movie Review: Avatar

Avatar is the return of James Cameron. He's the director and writer of Terminator 1 & 2, Aliens, and a little film called Titanic. It's been 12 years since his last film, Titanic, took over the world. The question is was it worth the wait?

What separates Avatar from all other movies is the stunning visual effects. It's the best looking movie I've ever seen. I saw it in IMAX Digital 3D. I could do without having to wear 3D glasses, but it did add a cool element to the movie. The visual and special effects are worth seeing Avatar in the theaters, and paying the extra money for the 3D glasses.

The movie is epic in scale, visually stunning, and has some of the coolest action scenes in any movie I've seen. With all that you'd think I'd love this movie, but I didn't. I liked it a lot, but I didn't love it. I think the main problem was that it is a little too Sci-Fi with a dash of weird. I give it one thumb up. It's rated PG-13 for swears, and action/violence.

Rob's Rating System: Two Thumbs up = I loved it, worth paying full price, and I will own it on DVD.
One Thumb up = An OK movie, worth a matinee showing, and I may buy it on DVD if I see it in the $5 bin.
Thumb to the side = Wait and rent it. I wouldn't be mad if someone gave me this DVD, but I wouldn't buy it.
Thumbs down = I hated it, wish I wouldn't have wasted money on it, wouldn't own it on DVD

5 comments:

  1. Your review is consistent with most others I have seen. Love the photo with the snow coming down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice. have heard some great things on this one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Billy was just saying he wanted to see this one. I hadn't even heard of it though until I saw Leona Lewis sing a song from the movie on So You Think You Can Dance. But sounds good from your review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. DP, did you like Lord of the Rings or King Kong? It is similar in that it feals epic watching it but I don't want to sit down and watch it over and over again. For me being a movie fan it was worth seeing in the theater. You are hard to predict when it comes to movies, but I think you should go see it.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.