Monday, December 28, 2009

Movie Review: Sherlock Holmes

The first time I saw a preview for Sherlock Holmes I marked my calendar for December 25. The preview looked amazing and I couldn't wait to see it. Every Christmas my family has a tradition where we go see a movie after we open gifts, and Sherlock Holmes was the unanimous selection. The question is does it live up to the hype?


Sherlock Holmes is the newest recreation of the classic character created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Like Batman, or James Bond Holmes gets a fresh start with this modern reboot. As Holmes, Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man) creates a character that could be Captain Jack Sparrow's brother...or at least his cousin. He's a little eccentric, but you can't help but root for him.


The movie has great action scenes, excellent acting, and a decent plot. It's a good movie. I didn't love it like I thought I would, but I may have to see it again before I make a final judgement. If you liked the new Bond movies or your fan of action movies then you will love Holmes. It's rated PG-13 for intense action/violence, a few swears, and a creepy villain who is in the occult. I give it one thumb up.

Rob's Rating System: Two Thumbs up = I loved it, worth paying full price, and I will own it on DVD.
One Thumb up = An OK movie, worth a matinee showing, and I may buy it on DVD if I see it in the $5 bin.
Thumb to the side = Wait and rent it. I wouldn't be mad if someone gave me this DVD, but I wouldn't buy it.
Thumbs down = I hated it, wish I wouldn't have wasted money on it, wouldn't own it on DVD

1 comment:

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.