Sunday, August 9, 2009

Thankful for things I don't like

I try to be thankful for things. I don't always succeed but I want to be thankful for things...even the things that I don't like. For example I'm thankful for public restrooms, but I hate em. First off the restroom is supposed to be experienced in private. For the first few years of our lives going to the bathroom is a spectator event, but that is because someone else cleaned us up. Once you become potty trained the bathroom is a private moment. The problem with public restrooms is that the private becomes public.

There are some things that just shouldn't be shared with strangers. On my drive home from my vacation a guy tried to open the stall I was in. Luckily I locked the door. He then asked if anyone was in there. Awkward. I wouldn't have answered but he sounded panicked and I was afraid he would have crawled under the door if I didn't answer. I sheepishly told him yes. When I left the stall he went in and started ripping the loudest farts I've ever heard. I don't want to share that moment with anyone. There I was trying to wash my hands and this guy is machine gunning farts. I left that experience being very thankful for public restrooms, but I truly do hate em.

4 comments:

  1. It's even worse when you are in a stall and someone comes into the one next to you. Yuk. A friend told me once that in the army there are no stalls, just a bench of toilets. Now that's a public event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel, that is a public event. I'm thankful for our military, even more so now if they all had to experience that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had a "bathroom emergency" of sorts recently on a drive scott and I took up to visit his parents in northern neck. After a coffee and a LARGE bottle of water, not to mention a WaWa cup of assorted melon pieces, I couldn't wait the 20 additional minutes it would have taken to make it to his parents house. We made an emergency stop at a bait shop/convenience store/ southern fried goods store; I had to go through the "food prep" area, into the light-less back storage room, past the janitor's closet, into a plywood closet that vaguely resembled a bathroom only because it had a toilet and sink. All this to say.... i feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny! Don't guys know you take a quick glance (only at the floor) under a stall door to see if there are feet before intruding. My hangup is germs; I hate touching anything and love the newer restrooms that have no entrance doors to handle and faucets and towels that are motion activated. Gratitude soars when I think about the advancements beyond the old outhouse and no indoor plumbing.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.