Monday, August 10, 2009

My First Cruise

Last week my wife and I went on our first cruise. Just in case you were wondering here are my thoughts about cruising...
  • There is a lot of food. We went on Carnival and I ate a lot. With that being said the food was good but not great. If anything on the boat was served at a local restaurant I would not go to that restaurant for the food. I don't say that to be negative because I liked the food I just didn't love it.
  • I don't like laying out in the sun. My wife loves laying out in the sun. One day I was laying out and I felt like 4 hours went by. I knew I made a great effort. The truth was only 20 minutes had passed.
  • We went to Cozumel and Progresso Mexico.
  • We got an hour long massage on the beach for $10 each. It was worth every penny. However if I paid $11 I would have been mad. The masseuse liked to use her elbows and the karate chop method. I don't think either are effective.
  • I bought a Luchador Mask. These are the masks that Mexican Wrestlers wear. Mine looks like Spider-Man.
  • I won a competition on the boat. It was movie theme songs and I got 8 out of 11 right. I missed Casper (seriously this should not be in the competition), 1941 (who has seen this), and Temple of Doom (I put Indiana Jones but it had to be specific). The prize is a ship on a stick.
  • Doing a cruise with friends is the way to go. We had a lot of fun with our friends.
  • All week long I put SBF 50 sunblock on. I don't think I got any sun, so on the last day I put on 15 and I burned. I'm white. I wish I would have got a little tanner, but I'm glad I didn't burn on the first day.
  • I liked being unplugged from everything. I couldn't text, get online, or check email.
  • We didn't do any excursions because they were expensive. Maybe next time but for now we just wanted to enjoy the cruise.
  • Overall I liked a cruise. I want to go again. My wife loved it. She is ready to go tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. cruises are amazing...so true about the food...i have a ship on a stick somewhere in a box from our cruise, the not so newlywed game...we beat out a couple married 4 times as long...i did not gloat, really...i can't wait to go again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, I worked on a fishing boat in New England growing up, and after this, I could now never imagine going on a cruise, regardless of its destination. I also worry a bit about Captain Stubing and Gopher. They seem like sketchy characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel about the same. Cruises are not my preferred way to vacation. Mine was fun, we had a lot of family on it and I definitely think it's better with people you know.

    I like to feel like I experienced something new / different and you visit ports for too short a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about the Carnival food. It is fine, it is even good but it is NOT awesome. Now the Disney cruise has AWESOME food. And the thing about Carnival is, it is like eating breakfast lunch and dinner at the same restaurant. On the Disney ones, it is more like different restaurants and it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the food on our carnival cruise, but overall my feelings were similar to DP's. However, when I heard you and Monica were going on one, I really wanted to join you. Next time, the Peters should tag along and we will all do lots of excursions. I loved our excursions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ship on a stick, huh? Sounds like a fabulous prize. :) Billy and I want to go on a cruise sometime...minus the munchkins.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.