Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Movie Review - District 9

District 9 is the latest sci-fi phenom to be released by Hollywood. If you don't know the story it started when Peter Jackson (Director of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy) tried to make a movie version of the video game Halo. The Halo movie fell through and Jackson decided to make a sci-fi movie anyway. This time though no one in Hollywood could stop him. Instead of a big budget movie where the suits of Hollywood would tell him what to do he create a low budget movie that went under the radar. District 9 was filmed with little fan fair. The comic book fans at Comic Con saw part of the film and began Tweeting and blogging about the film. Hype rose almost to the level of Snakes on A Plane. Hopefully, unlike Snakes, this movie would be worth the hype.

District 9 is a highly original sci-fi thriller. It's bloody, messy, intriguing, and filled with F-Bombs. I could have used about 100 less F-Bombs but I was intrigued by the plot. Unlike a lot of summer blockbusters, where you can figure out the plot in the first 5 minutes, District 9 kept me guessing. One thing that helps is the special affects are stellar. But unlike Transformers there is actually a plot to go along with impressive CGI.
District 9 is rated R for intense action/violence, and the F-Bomb. I liked it but I don't think I would ever watch it again. Therefore I give it a thumb to the side.
Rob's Rating System: Two Thumbs up = I loved it, worth paying full price, and I will own it on DVD.One Thumb up = An OK movie, worth a matinee showing, and I may buy it on DVD if I see it in the $5 bin.Thumb to the side = Wait and rent it. I wouldn't be mad if someone gave me this DVD, but I wouldn't buy it.Thumbs down = I hated it, wish I wouldn't have wasted money on it, wouldn't own it on DVD

2 comments:

  1. You got me re-thinking about this movie and the more I do, the more I like it... I don't think I'll ever go to love it, but I kind of want to see it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you got rid of those stupid verification words also.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.