Saturday, August 8, 2009

Movie Review: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

G.I. Joe has been a huge part of my life. They were right up there with the superheroes of my childhood. I've been waiting for this movie since I was 10 years old.
The movie is not bad but it definitely wasn't worth the wait. In fact I would have loved it more if I was 10 years old. The makers of the movie gave a valiant effort. The plot is something right out of a G.I. Joe cartoon. The special effects are great. The action is intense. It's got everything a summer popcorn flick should have. So, what's the problem? I guess that it's just a lot of splash without much substance.
I was hoping for it to be as good as this summers Star Trek or better yet last summers Iron Man. It was closer to the Mummy. Maybe because the same director made those films, but it had The Mummy feel to it. A lot of action, but at the end of the day I just didn't care about it. G.I. Joe is rated PG-13 for intense action sequences and a few swears. I give it a thumb to the side.
Rob's Rating System: Two Thumbs up = I loved it, worth paying full price, and I will own it on DVD.
One Thumb up = An OK movie, worth a matinee showing, and I may buy it on DVD if I see it in the $5 bin.
Thumb to the side = Wait and rent it. I wouldn't be mad if someone gave me this DVD, but I wouldn't buy it.
Thumbs down = I hated it, wish I wouldn't have wasted money on it, wouldn't own it on DVD.

2 comments:

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.