Friday, February 25, 2011

Third Annual Robscars

Some people don't like the name Robscars and think that I should change it because it sounds like a disease. Some people don't really like movies and ask me why I review them on my site. Some people drink crack and smoke beer. The point is that the Academy Awards are on Sunday night and that means it's time for the Third Annual Robscars. At the Academy Awards they hand out Oscars. At the Robscars I hand out respect or disrespect depending on the quality of movie. This year I have added 4 movies to each category and then picked a winner. In years past I just picked a winner. And the categories are...

Best Movie I Saw in 2010
Toy Story 3
Inception
The Social Network
True Grit

And the winner is...Toy Story 3. If you think it's just a kids movie then I question the quality of the toys you played with as a youngster. This movie had great character development, and was full of emotion.

Second Best Movie I Saw in 2010
Date Night
The A-Team
Predators
The Fighter

And the winner is...The A-Team. Now some people would question why one of the losers from the Best Movie I Saw category wouldn't be nominated in this category. I say that it's a honor just to be nominated. This group of movies I didn't go see expecting to be great, but they all were. Out of all the movies I saw in 2010 I have re-watched The A-Team the most. It didn't do great at the Box Office, but it's funny, has sick nasty action, and didn't destroy everything I know and love about one of my all time favorite TV shows from when I was a kid.

Take One For The Team
Valentine's Day
Twilight Saga: Eclipse
The Backup Plan
Leap Year

And the winner is...Twilight Saga: Eclipse. This is the Twilight saga's second win in a row for this category. All four of these movies were seen because I love my wife and I took one for the team. Leap Year was lucky to be nominated because I managed to sleep through all but the first five minutes.

Worst Movie I Saw
From Paris With Love
Cop Out
Dinner For Schmucks
Killers

And the winner is...Dinner For Schmucks. I really like Steve Carrell and this was the only movie nominated that I really wanted to see. I knew the others weren't going to be good, but I gave them a chance because I love watching movies. Dinner For Schmucks should have been a 30 minute sketch on Saturday Night Live. It was too long, and lacked any major laughs.

Worst Movie I Didn't See
The Last Airbender
MacGruber
Mao's Last Dancer
Skyline

And the winner is...The Last Airbender. All of these movies are bad. You ask "how do you know if you didn't see them?" Just call it my movie-dar. It's like radar for bad movies. I can just tell.

Best Movie That Ripped Off of The Bourne Trilogy But Added A Girl Lead
Salt
Salt
Salt
Salt

And the winner is...Salt. The good news is Salt, staring Angelina Jolie won. The bad news is it was the only film nominated.

Movie I Didn't See But Still Questioned The Need For A Sequel
Cats And Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore
Saw 3D
Step Up 3D
Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too

And the winner is...Saw 3D. I have never seen a Saw movie but I know enough about them to know that Donnie Walberg from New Kids On The Block is in them not doing the New Kids Dance, and the main villain died in the third movie. They have now made 7 Saw movies. Seriously people stop going to see this franchise so it can RIP.

Best Comedy
Clash of The Titans
Grown Ups
The Other Guys
Date Night

And the winner is...Clash of The Titans. Oh wait Clash of The Titans wasn't supposed to be a comedy? That changes things. The winner is Date Night. This movie still makes me laugh. I quote it more than any other movie from 2010.

Commenter's Choice
For this category you get to pick the winner. What was your favorite movie of 2010?

25 comments:

  1. Just to clarify the first few sentences aren't really about anyone. It was an attempt to be funny. I hope that people get that and don't think that I was talking about a specific person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with toy story 3. They did an excellent job with the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only movie on your list that I actually saw was Toy Story 3. I was weeping like a baby at that scene in the incinerator when they all decided to go to their ultimate demise together. Definitely worthy of Rob's scars in my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw 6 movies that were released in 2010 (3 of them I saw in 2011, though- not a big movie watcher)

    When in Rome (rental)
    Valentine's Day
    Alice In Wonderland
    Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (while babysitting- owls kind of creep me out)
    The Tourist
    Little Fockers

    Alice in Wonderland might have made more sense if I had seen the original, or at least known the storyline. My dad had to explain everything to me after the movie ended.

    The Tourist was hands down my fave. It wasn't as action-packed as I expected, but Johnny Depp gained weight and wasn't wearing crazy make-up. The ending was good and wasn't a let-down, which is the downfall of most movies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be honest not one movie really sticks out to me. I guess I would say Inception left me really thinking about it after I left, did the top fall or not... I did go see Eclipse at midnight and the crowd alone made that movie pretty awesome.

    My best movie experience despite the movie not being the best was Step Up 3D. Only in Hampton could you go see that movie on a Tuesday night and have kids break dancing in the aisle as the credits scrolled at the end. It was pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Figher... EASY. I understand it may not have great re-watch appeal, but seriously, how does it not at least get nominated for BEST? It was WAY better than True Grit... Robscars have lost all credibility in my mind.

    I didn't see Toy Story 3, I need to watch it. I have a hard time believing it's better than Inception and Inception wasn't as good as The Fighter. Surprised Speed didn't make it for some category...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your movie-dar is spot on! The Last Airbender was really, really, REALLY bad! The concept is great, the special effects were pretty special, but movies are about acting. Zombies on valium have more emotional range than anyone in this movie. Pah-Thet-Ick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like Tru Grit and thought it had the most rewatchability of all the movies. Also, Saw 3D was really disappointing...even Cary Elwes couldn't save it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked The Social Network and Inception. We don't make it to the theatre as often as we like and both these movies were great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked Inception. Or maybe I just dreamt that I liked it. Whichever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seekingpastor, you make a profound point.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melissa, that is the same with me. I saw a lot more movies on DVD then I did in the theater.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michael, I don't even know who Cary Elwes is. I'll google it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Geoffrey, why thank you. I am sorry that you sat through it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dan, like anything in life some people will always be disapointed. The Fighter is great, but it's an updated "real life" version of Rocky 1. It just has more white trash. I enjoyed it a lot, but it didn't make the top cut.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I knew I could count on you to throw Step Up 3D into the mix. That a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Susan, you and Josh need to come with me and Monica to the movies. I'll take you to some good movies that you will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Daniel, you need to let me let you borrow Inception. It's good. The last three years of the Robscars and you have not seen a movie on the list except for the animated one. Let's change that. Unless you really don't want to then I accept you for who you are, but if you want to borrow Inception let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Simchip, thank you for agreeing. That movie is top shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Princess Bride?! Men in Tights? Oh my Rob!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Favorite movie... True grit or inception, favorite movie i viewed this year, but not new... IP Man

    ReplyDelete
  22. AWWW, I just watched From Paris with Love last night and liked it! I almost posted about it on FB.

    You need to expand your Robscars to include best/worst acting categories....just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello? Anybody remember The Brave Little Toaster?
    Toy Story 3 stole that junkyard scene.
    They lose.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.