Thursday, February 3, 2011

My God Why Have You Forsaken Me?

Have you ever felt like God didn't give a rip about you? Have you ever felt like God could care less if you succeeded or failed? Have you ever felt like God was the mean kid on the playground who used the beam from the sun through a magnifying glass to torch innocent bugs after he plucked their wings, and you are the innocent bug? Have you ever mixed your toothpaste up with another product like shaving cream, lotion, or Nair and realized it after you started brushing your teeth? If that's you then you are not alone.

I was perusing through the book of Psalms in the Bible and I saw a familiar verse. "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Now this verse is familiar because Jesus said it while dying on the cross. What I didn't know was that this verse was originally quoted by King David in the Psalms, and that it's the most quoted Psalm in the New Testament. Now don't zone out here because a point is coming that I think is pretty interesting.

Two of the biggest names in the entire Bible are King David and Jesus. One could think that God would treat them a little different then the average Rob.  Both David and Jesus asked God why He forsook them. Forsook or forsaked? How about they ask God why he had forsaken them? The point is that there were moments in their life where they felt like God wasn't there for them. I've been there.

There are times when you need God and He seems silent. There are times when it would help if God would just speak audibly. There are times when I've become so frustrated with God because He seemed distant. If this quote from David and Jesus teaches us anything it's that it's okay to question God. It's okay to get frustrated. It's okay to wonder where God is. You can cry out to God but don't you dare give up on Him.

It would be nice if God gave us special treatment, but if David and God's own son went through hard times then it's a safe bet that we will to. The thing that separated David and Jesus from everyone else is that they didn't give up on God. He didn't come to their rescue on their time table, but He was still there. He didn't save the day like they thought, but He still came through in the end. He allowed them to cry out, but they didn't give up. Don't you dare give up on God.

9 comments:

  1. Yeah, I too have been there a time or two or three or ..., well, I guess that I am no different than most folks in this regard. It is so frustrating feeling like you are alone and that you don't matter. But it is interesting that I have never felt like this during a time in my life when things are going great. That likely says more about me than about God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I understood why my two miscarriages and one tubal pregnancy happened. Once Brett was born I said it must have been because God was preparing me for all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Rob. I had never thought through the implications of both David and Jesus having felt forsaken by God. There will be days, weeks, or months, when I feel forgotten by God and I need to remember that even the greatest have walked in the same shoes (sandals?).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle, great to hear from you on the blog. We need to catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bernadette, very true. I'm sorry you went through that. I'm glad that you didn't give up on God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Rob, awesome. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.