Monday, February 14, 2011

Guest Post Monica Shepherd: Valentine's Day for Rob

Happy Valentine’s Day to the most amazing man I know. We alternate who plans Valentine’s Day each year, and this year it’s mine. I hijacked the blog to share 14 reasons why no other man would love me, but Rob does regardless. He’s a keeper.

1. I blow my nose constantly, every day, all year long. It grosses him out, but he still loves me. Sometimes I accidently leave used tissues in his car, but he still loves me.

2. I am not athletic. At all. Rob loves sports. I’ve managed to compensate by taking him to Lakers games, watching ESPN, knowing teams & players, and I know who Tony Kornheiser & Michael Wilbon are. I watch PTI even when Rob’s not home. I can’t shoot hoops with Rob or even attempt to play him at tennis or racquetball, but he still loves me.

3. I stink at video games (except Dr. Mario and Tetris). While playing Call of Duty Black Ops, I run around like a lunatic with my head looking straight up or down because I can’t control all of those buttons. I get killed constantly. Rob just laughs and is happy I try.

4. I spit like a man. I can seriously win at a long distance spit contest. I spit out car windows and as we walk along sidewalks. Rob finds it disgusting, but he still loves me.

5. Rob’s memory is that of a steel trap. I, on the other hand, remember nothing. I don’t remember gifts he gives me, past dates, facts from movies, or anything, really. This might offend some spouses. He knows & loves me regardless.

6. Rob hates the idea of me going to the bathroom. Sometimes I forget & leave the door open. He walks by & cringes or yelps. He still loves me.

7. Most nights I tend to wait until Rob gets settled in bed, and then I ask for of the following items: socks, a glass of water, medicine, or lotion. My bad. He does it with a great attitude (even puts my socks on) and still loves me.

8. While I sleep, I drool like a crazy person. There are literally drool stains on my pillow and when I wake up, my cheek is wet. He loves me regardless.

9. Rob has snored for years and years, and I wake him up to roll him over to make him stop almost every night. Circa December, I have started snoring due to my pregnancy, but Rob has never woken me up once to make me stop. He loves me.

10. Rob is very passionate about things that he loves and hates. He hates lima beans, cottage cheese, and mayonnaise. I eat and love all three of those things, but he still loves me. He loves Chipotle and could eat there every day, but I could never eat there again and be happy. He still loves me.

11. I can’t stand, and even mock, Sylvester Stallone in the Rocky movies, which happens to be one of Rob’s favorite movie series. He’s begged me to watch it and give it a chance, but I can’t bring myself to do it. He still loves me.

12. I am mildly obsessed with teen pop music such as New Kids on the Block, and Rob not only tolerates it, but he took me to a NKOTB concert last year. That’s love.

13. Rob says at night I have a move called the tuck & roll, where I tuck the blankets under my side then roll over. This causes the blankets to yank off him and he can’t pull them back because I’m rolled up in them. I also press my freezing cold toes against his calves at night which he hates. He loves me the most.

14. I’ve tried really hard not to complain during this pregnancy because we begged God for this, but I am falling apart physically! I have carpal tunnel, nasty stretch marks on my stomach, swollen feet, Charlie horses while sleeping, and I waddle. He massages my hands & feet, ties my shoes, puts my earrings on, and does everything else my gimp hands can’t do. Rob seriously thinks it is all beautiful.

Even though most people would run the other way, Rob loves me unconditionally and extravagantly. He is my favorite person, best friend, husband, and two months (or less) away from being a great father to our two babies. We are each other’s first loves and Valentine’s Day is every day in the Shepherd house. Love you bubby!

11 comments:

  1. Super sweet post Monica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.K. M this is some good stuff. I am both jealous and happy for you and Rob. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super sweet post:) Love that hubbys see it all and still stick with us... because they love us!! And I'm soo excited you guys and these little babies... more love for the Shepherd home to enjoy... through it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This almost made me cry. :) Love you guys ...and love that you have each other!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @MonShep, this is awesome! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monica this was so funny a sweet it made me cry ! You two are gonna be the best parents ever !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sweet, Monica! I am happy for you and your growing family. :-)
    Karen E (TES)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was really nice, it would seem that you and I have both been blessed with someone wonderful in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kevin, very true. My wife is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dang I'm surprised you even play Black ops!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutley beautiful, You two are truely blessed. Keep it up, you are an inspiration to the rest of us..love to you both and soon to be FOUR...

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.