Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Who Would Miss You

If you were to mysteriously disappear who would miss you? No one likes to think about spontaneously combusting into thin air, but if you did get beamed up into no where who would notice?

I asked my Community Group if Christians were to mysteriously disappear would anyone miss them.  After I asked the question my group sat in silence. I think they knew the answer and it wasn't great.

The truth is that Christians would not be missed from a lot of circles. No one would miss their movies or most of their music. A few people would miss the entertaining TV known as TV evangelists, but let's be honest they might not disappear with the rest of the Christians. I kid I kid.

As a Christ Follower I am convicted with the thought that if all Christ Followers were taken there wouldn't be many people who would miss me. I want to make a difference in this world. I want to make such a difference that people who don't have a relationship with Jesus would be impacted if I left.

“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." - Jesus.

18 comments:

  1. One of my greatest fears of being alone is that if I were to die in my house, there really is nobody who would miss me enough to come and check on me. This thought has been running through my mind for a long time. Christians and non-Christians alike, I am not sure that anybody really would notice. The only exception is my daughter. While this sounds like a horrible and morbid thought, I am trying to reach out and make friends and impact people. It's just that this is a slow process for me and I am not very good at it. Maybe I should just buy a crate full of cats and be done with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel, well I would notice because A. There wouldn't be a comment from you on my blog. B. You wouldn't post on your blog. C. Davy Saunders would call because you would miss group. It is a slow process but people would notice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my kids would immediately notice me because when they yelled "MOM! I need some milk, pretty please!" they would not get any response!! andy would notice when he ran out of socks and underwear (i kid, i kid!). my friends would notice when i didn't ask for babysitters for a few days...

    andy has a coworker who has this quirk...she calls someone before she takes ANY medicine--just in case...weird...but, i kindof get it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Challenging thought! I don't think any of us, regardless of how beloved or great will actually be missed for more than a NY minute. Have we fulfilled our purpose? Have we planted seeds that will continue to grow? Is there evidence that we were once here? Are there lives that are better because we touched them? Challenging thought!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't talking about who would notice if I disappeared. I was speaking to who would really miss me. I just have not invested deeply in anyone's life in a long time for lots of reasons. However, I much appreciate your thoughtful reply. Hopefully in a year's time, my answer to your question will be much different!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Rob. Definitely a needed kick in the butt. I know even as a Christian myself, there are a lot of Christians I wouldn't miss, myself included. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope my wife, kids, family, church, and others would miss me. And I'm pretty sure that Wal-mart and McDonald's would feel an economic downturn if I was gone as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do make a difference and you would be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's heavy. iPad2 march 2nd

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simchip, are you going to get the iPad2?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Brian, but if all the Christians left the earth my difference would be small. I feel like I've made an impact to Christians, but non-Christians my impact has been small.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seekingpastor, hopefully they'd all be with you if all the Christians left. Your Wal-Mart/McDonald's was very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Austin-Lee, I hear ya, but I know a lot of people would miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lindsey, that's funny about Andy's coworker. It kind of makes sense. Crazy but it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Daniel, keep up the investment & people would miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How do you know that you didn't impact non-christians... converting them to christians? Hhhhmmmm... now that is something to think about... so there... you have made a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brian, good point but I'd like for it to be more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey rob its Simeon. I am not because there are rumors that another iPad will come out later this year. And anyways all iPad 2 will have is cameras.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.