Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I Call This Adventure: The night 7 fire trucks came to my house

Last night I came home from an event at my church to the smell of gas. As soon as I walked in I declared, "it smells like gas." Now typically when I make that statement it's because one of the high school guys from my Student Community Group has farted. That happens on a weekly basis, but this smell was not produced by any human.

My wife, Monica, said that when she first walked in she smelled it as well. Now gas is not something that I'm willing to take a chance on, so I called the non-emergency phone number. I let the very nice lady on the phone know that I didn't think it was a big deal but because my wife and I both smelled gas I thought I should call. I didn't expect what would happen next...

In less than five minutes 5 fire trucks pulled onto my street with lights glaring. As they unloaded we could hear at least two more coming into our neighborhood with their sirens blaring. At this point it's 9:45 PM. All of that and they found nothing. We were a little embarrassed, but they assured us we did the right thing. It was quite the adventure, but I'm glad it had a boring ending.

5 comments:

  1. So you created a little drama in the neighborhood and gave the firemen an evening of harmless adventure. You did the right thing. Most of us have pride that fears making a big deal out nothing. However, the alternative can be deadly. Oprah had a memorable program with people who had been kidnapped or seriously hurt. Each of them could go back to the exact moment they sensed danger but ignored their instinct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. at least you keep it interesting for the neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this would qualify as one of those times in life that would be even more exciting & intense with an audible soundtrack that syncs up with your everyday life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelsey, very good point. My wife watched that same episode of Oprah.

    Brian, the sad thing is no one came over to see what was wrong. I hope we don't keep it so interesting that they hate us.

    Jake, so true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can bet that folks will be peering out from their windows to catch glimpses of the folks who are bringing down their property values with their raucous life style. "Danged kids with their tight pants and rock and roll music and fire trucks!"

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.