Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Can You Fall Out of Love?

I'm not a big fan of the phrase I fell in or out of love. I often use it, but I'm not a fan. The problem I have with it is that it makes love completely about a feeling. It's relatively easy to fall in and out of love when it's comprised of feelings alone. Something new can evoke a feeling that we mistake for love. Attractiveness can evoke a feeling that we mistake for love. Instant gratification can evoke feelings that we mistake for love. The need for companionship can evoke a feeling that we mistake for love. Love goes beyond feelings. It's a choice!

Feelings are fleeting. True love sees the worst you have to offer and still sticks by your side.

I know we can't always control our feelings...but that is why when it comes to love it has to be about more than feelings. If you want true love in your life then choose to love others well...despite their flaws. If you want true love in your life love beyond the feelings.

If you can fall out of love then was it ever love to begin with? Maybe it was just a feeling. I have enough feelings in my life...I want to choose to love.

5 comments:

  1. I whole heartedly agree! I have said that for years, love is a choice...its a decision...and a decision sometimes we must make Daily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better choose love buddy. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post rob!

    True love sees the worst you have to offer and still sticks by your side.

    great line...

    b

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that love is a choice, a decision in the mind. But the heart and our feelings and emotions also play such a huge role. I can be brought to tears just thinking of my daughter and our relationship and its beauty. These tears are not the result of a cognitive debate I can assure you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thoughts...I think you're definitely right!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.