Thursday, March 20, 2008

Selfish Part Two

So we are all selfish. I'm so selfish sometimes I don't see that I am being selfish. It is easy to see in others. I can point out selfishness in someone else quickly. I guess that is why Jesus said take care of the plank in your own eye before you worry about the speck in someone else's. But it is not enough to just admit that you are selfish. James 3:16 says, For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice. You see selfishness leads to disorder. Wherever we have selfishness we will find disorder. Disorder in our lives, with our money, with our friends, with family, at church. The list goes on and on. I don't know if this is correct or not, but I believe that every sin comes down to selfishness. When we sin we are saying I would rather do it my way than God's, or we are saying I would rather do what is best for me then what is best for others. That is what sin is. The problem with sin is that is brings disorder to our lives. Selfishness though is so blinding that we don't think about the disorder that it will bring. We think that we can handle it or that it isn't that big of a deal, but it is a big deal. It was our selfishness that nailed Jesus to the cross. It is my selfishness that continues to bring disorder to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.